Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historical Moments

Thinking about today and what this inauguration means to so many despite who was voted for or not voted for the one word that comes to my mind is: unity. An idea that has always felt like a fairy tale to me. What would that look like? To be a country unified, is that possible? As much as I want to believe that we have taken steps to accomplish this goal, it still seems to me to be a dream. Although, I do not desire to discount our efforts because there is something I do believe is real and that is hope, hope that this is possible. Hope that we can look past our many differences whether political, external, economical, or whatever it may be so that we can accomplish goals greater than ourselves.

Sometimes, I think these thoughts are like a resounding gong that has been hammered one too many times. History proves this, countless men and women have fought for these ideals. And as I listened to Obama's speech today, the theme rang true through his words. To be honest I know we have leaders for a reason and they do impact and shape our world but they do not necessarily define it. The many people living out our lives just wanting day by day the same dreams that many others want: WE DEFINE IT. We define our world and I believe that common men, every single day change it. An idea that I like to call quiet revolutionaries, we are quiet revolutionaries. And my biggest prayer is that people believe that they are the ones capable of making change happen.

Today as I sit and bang this gong one more time, my hope is that whom ever reads this will remember that they have power in themselves to change the course of history, of human hearts and of people's minds.

1 comment:

David Michael said...

Great article! I belive we can have "unity in the midst of diversity."