Saturday, January 24, 2009

Questions from the Theater Seat

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them," this is a famous quote by Henry David Thoreau. Today I went and saw "Revolutionary Road", it was an excellent movie and it made me think. The movie reminded me of that quote by Thoreau; I cannot get the thought out of my head. Are we all slaves to this idea that security means happiness? I do not think the tragedy is having a job that brings security, as long as it is what brings the most joy to a person's life.

My mom is a teacher, she has been a teacher my whole life. When I was growing up I attended many churches, one of the churches I went to strongly criticized women working. The thought always made me sad, why would they criticize the life my mom chose like that? One of the greatest things my mom taught me with her life, is to do what you love. She has loved teaching all of these years and that had such a huge impact on my brothers and I. I do not know if I meant to go on a tangent about women working or not, the main point I am trying to make is societal pressures should not dictate anyone's life, should they? People should have a job and life they love, shouldn't they? At least that is always what my mom taught me.

Now, as I am about to graduate from college, I think about these things. What kind of career do I want? I always thought I knew but I have found myself changing my mind. Do I want to do school counseling or counseling in general? Should I have just been a teacher, like my grandma always wanted ? The only thing I know for certain is that I worship God who is so mighty and His dreams for me are greater than I could ever imagine. My whole life I have desired to counsel, to serve, to listen, to love, to travel the world and maybe the road to this life will not always be clear.

Beyond the confusion, I am comforted to know that God never meant for us to live lives of "quiet desperation". Christ came so that we might have life to the full and everyday that road is opening up before me. I am glad hollywood still makes movies like the "Revolutionary Road", they make me think and I guess as long as I am still thinking, loving and praying; the vision of something more will become more palpable.

No comments: