Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Frosted Window Panes


The smell of the corner house's fireplace, crisp cool air, feeling the warm hot chocolate go down your throat and seeing the beautiful lights strewn across the yards. All of these sensations give me the feeling that Christmas is here. It is hard to believe that the holiday season is upon us and I am reminded of the many blessings I have been given and the true meaning of it all.

The old adage "Tis better to give than to receive" has always been a persistent thought as I live in the moments of the holiday season. And I wonder if we truly believe those words. Although, gifts are being bought, wrapped and placed under the tree. Where are our hearts? Is it with the idea that the more money spent the more love there is or the fancier the gift the better? Now in my own life I love giving gifts and I do not see anything wrong with presents. My question this holiday season during a time where giving is typically at a high, what does it all mean to us?

I know for me, I get wrapped up in buying the perfect and most meaningful presents. My greatest desire when I give someone their gift is that they will be floored by my thoughtfulness. Sometimes, I miss the point of giving and what it means. When I listen to the radio I love hearing the stories of anonymous givers who give so much and want no recognition. Or the stories of the people who are struggling but still give as much as they can when they have little. I love these stories because through them I see their hearts and the true meaning of Christmas that I desire to live in that way also.

When I reflect on God's gift of Jesus to the world and the weight of what that truly means. The people who give without their names going on a record or the people who give with not having much themselves display Christ like love. I am so richly blessed and have a lot to offer not only in way of gifts but through how I give my time. During this Christmas time, I want to allow Christ to give through me and to be like the people who all they want to do is give. At the heart of this giving is self-less love, which is the same love Christ has for us.

In the moments of the hustle and bustle, I pray that there will be times when we remember what it all truly means. That our presents do not need to be perfect in appearance or value but when there is self-less love behind them they are perfect gifts. One of my favorite experiences of the holidays is to peer through the frosted window panes to see the beautiful Christmas trees. And as I look through them, I know that the love of family can always be reflected. In your gift giving this holiday season peer through the frosted window panes and remember it is about family, self-less love, gifts and most importantly God's gift to us, Jesus Christ.

No comments: